Tuesday 13 January 2009

Thoughts on Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet: Shaymin

First off, it was brilliant, both me and Sito thought so.
Second, what's with the English name of the movie: Giratina and the Sky Warrior. What's wrong with using the Japanese one, but maybe cut it off a little (because it is awfully long). "Giratina and the Sky's Bouquet" would've worked just fine. Was it just because it didn't sound "cool" enough, or what? -_- In that case, it's just silly, stupid and totally uncool.


But back to the movie... It's not often I fawn over a Pokémon because it's cute, but when I first saw Shaymin months ago I squealed. And looking at this movie just made me like it even more. Not every legendary that show up in each of the movies has a proper personality, they are just really cute (Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy) or just really strong and kick-ass (Deoxys, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Dialga, Palkia, Regirock, Regice, Registeel), ready to save the world. (On a side note: Regirock, Regice, Registeel and Regigigas are the scariest Pokémon out there, I swear.) But here comes Shaymin, both cute, strong and with a kick-ass personality! ^^ And his Sky Forme is awsome too! You just got to love him/her/both/whatever-it-is. (These legendaries and their genderless-ness... >_<)

The movie has a really good story going on, I think, but I'll say nothing more about it because of spoilers. ^^' It follows its own little pace without being rushed and without being boring, and with some nice flashbacks from the previous movie to remind the one watching of what happened then. One definitely needs to see the previous one to understand this one... Oh, and the special effeckts kick ass, but they've always done that in Pokémon movies. (The doors in Mewtwo Strikes Back! <3)

As for the characters, I'd thought I'd talk a bit about them too...
Now, I've always liked Hikari/Dawn because of her appearance and clothes(<3!), style="font-style: italic;">a lot of attention, more so than any of Ash's previous companions have done.
Brock is, sadly, nothing but the fifth wheel in this movie. =/ He does absolutely nothing to the plot except makes sure the other two don't starve. And there's the obligatory scene where he flirts with Joy, of course (which he does in glasses, I might add! ^^), and a very adorable scene where he sends home flowers to his family (Ash and Hikari/Dawn does the same to theirs), but other than that; nada. That's sad, because I like Brock. He's cool, and I'm impressed on his patience with Ash during all these years... ^^' Guess that's what you get for being a big brother with so many siblings...?
Then there's this scholar named Mugen Graceland who helps Ash and co. out, and he's the ordinary grown-up and kind man with a surprising past. I didn't really know what to make of him until the end of the movie when he won me over with a nice gesture that meant a lot, methinks.
Team Rocket is just as much in this movie as Brock is, which is really, really sad. They crack a few jokes but not nearly as many as they've done at other times, Jessie is awsome as usual despite the little screen time, Meowth is adorable (R.I.P. Maddie <3>_<), and gorgeous James made me smile and be all giddy at the first sight of him. He doesn't need to try particulary hard. ^___^

I guess the Pokémon (minus Shaymin and Meowth, because I've already talked about them) should get their own little section too, so here goes...
Without spoiling too much; Giratina and Dialga are both awsome, although nothing more than those powerful beasts that is crucial to saving the day.
Mugen has a Shieldon that doesn't say much but just has something that makes me like it, along with a kick-ass attack.
I haven't seen enough of the new series to know what to think about Brock's Sudowoodo, Croagunk and Happiny, but I have to say I love his Croagunk. The way it acted when the others were eating, and how it dealt with Brock flirting with Joy... pure win.
Hikari's/Dawn's Pokémon are Piplup, Buneary, Ambipom, Pachirisu and Swinub. I love the crush Buneary has on Pikachu, and Piplup has some attitude. ;)
Ash's Gligar who I like only because I've been writing it in a fanfiction has apparently evolved into the awesome Gliscor and it's still awesome, as are the others. Buizel, Staravia, Turtwig and Chimchar also has a soft spot for the same reason as Gliscor (Chimchar has an even softer spot, since he's my favourite of the Generation IV starters).
Then we have Pikachu of course, which I don't even need to say anything about, because everyone should know that I love the little electric mouse from the bottom of my heart. <3

I've saved the two coolest characters till the end, and now I know you are all thinking something like "since when did Ash become one of the coolest charachters for you?!" And it's true that I've never liked him that much. I mean, it's Ash, so of course I like him, I kinda have to since I like the anime and he's in it like... all the time. He's always been able to make me laugh, and I do like his personality, but there was something with this movie that made it seem like he's matured a bit. He's still Ash, of course, still all fun and jokes and emotional at times, but he seems to have grown a little in this one, which is about time after all these years. And there was this one scene, that really made me realise how gorgeous he has become. Because you have to agree, he has changed.More hat-less Ash, please! And he should quit with the hair gel sometimes. It can't be good for the hair to use it all the time, can it?
Then, finally, it's Zero. Zero-sama, as he was called by his computer, which fits, because he is awesome enough to have that suffix added to his name. So yeah, his outfit is ridiculous. But his hair, and that evil gleam in his eye (you only saw one of them, because of his bangs... ^^')...Yummy, I'll just say. Yummy Zero-sama. <3 Best Human villain since Giovanni. But nothing beats Giovanni, so...

But overall; awesome movie, go watch it!
It's not as good as the first three movies or Lucario and the Mystery of Mew or Mewtwo Return, but it is one of the more awesome Pokémon movies out there! And I use "awesome" way too much... -_-

No comments:

Post a Comment